Saying No To TikTok

I have harbored more than a few concerns about TikTok for quite some time. There are many well documented security and privacy issues surrounding the app including reports of alleged spying on users and the use or sale of personal information. I would recommend that anyone interested conduct an independent investigation into these claims and draw their own conclusions. Note: If you are a parent of someone under 18 who uses or is considering using TikTok I would especially recommend doing this!

Last February, I was encouraged to download the app by a friend. She thought I might find it fun and entertaining. Unfortunately I found TikTok to be all the bad things people had said it was. The screenshot of my post on Reddit below lists the major issues I had. Of particular note were the many videos containing false or misleading information posted as "facts" and the racist and sexist comments. 

To be fair, I did in fact meet some great people of all ages and developed a small “following” of users who mostly liked the videos I posted of my cats walking around my home office. A few videos over 1980’s and 90’s technology also did pretty well. I have a huge interest in classic cars, music, and sports and found some content related to that—but nothing that I didn’t already know or could have learned somewhere else.

My biggest concern as I said, was the proliferation of incorrect information being presented as fact. This is true of all forms of social media but on TikTok it seemed that many “creators” or “influencers” did not let the facts stand in the way of "entertaining" and doing anything to gain followers and get “likes.” While TikTok states that its mission is to inspire creativity and "bring joy" and claims to prioritize "safety, diversity, inclusion, and authenticity" the user comments in general appeared to be unmoderated and were often insulting, racist, sexist, or homophobic in nature. More than once I reported the use of what I would consider an ethnic slur or derogatory language.

Last June, I joined the “subreddit” r/AntiTikTokMilitia. On July 21 I deleted all my videos and deactivated my TikTok account.

Here’s what I posted on Reddit:



Popular posts from this blog

EOQ Calculations in Excel

Reliability Calculations in Excel

“How Are We Doing?” Efficiency, Utilization, and Productivity