Thinking About an EV? - First Time Tesla Driver

Love ‘em or hate ‘em, electric vehicles are here to stay. My own take is that the automotive industry has reached the “point of no return” and sooner or later we will all be driving one. 

Difficult to estimate precisely but at least in the United States, I’m guessing it will be much longer than most people think until we reach that point. I’ve seen different figures on when but if you plan on buying another “gas powered” vehicle over the next few years you’ll be fine. 

According to CNN, electric vehicle sales should overtake gas and diesel by 2040. Still a long way off but the trend is clear:


Problems such as short battery life, a lack of recharging stations, training of knowledgeable service personnel, and sometimes ugly styling are all being addressed. EV's aren't the novelty they once were even 10 years ago. For most of us it will just be “how cars work.” Taking it all for granted just as we have done for over 100 years with "ordinary" fuel powered cars. Motorsports I believe will likely continue to use fuel powered vehicles for many years but it’s possible in the not so distant future this will change too. Right now, I can’t imagine a “silent” Indy 500 or U.S. Nationals without nitro.

Tesla is probably who most of us think of first when we think “electric.” Maybe you already own one or know someone who has one. They’re all over the place where I live (Zionsville, IN). But just four or five years ago I had only seen Tesla’s on YouTube and one very nice black “Model S” down in Franklin, TN (just outside Nashville) where my wife and I stopped on our way back from Florida. We have come far enough that there’s now a Supercharger station where we go grocery shopping.

Indianapolis, of course, has its own Tesla dealership and service center. It seems common these days for people to order them online at mall kiosks and through their computers. I don't know if that would work for me as I have always taken everything I've ever owned out for a test drive first. There’s no substitute for hands on driving experience for identifying potential problems. After watching a review of the Tesla “S Plaid” and its spectacular performance, I knew these cars were now serious contenders and made it a point to actually drive one when I had a day off.

Arriving at the dealer late on a Wednesday morning, the building looked more like a service center but had a small showroom with a “Model 3” on display. The salespeople were very friendly and answered all my questions about “EV’s” and Tesla’s in particular. There was no pressure to buy one now or rush my decision. My salesperson used the one in the showroom to show me how it all worked, especially the large screen in the center. Everything is controlled through this. Everything. My first thought was that it looked like a giant iPad. He also demonstrated the phone app and correct placement of the key card. Good to know because you aren't going anywhere if you don't do this right!

After my “orientation” we went outside and got in the blue Model 3 pictured below. It felt like I was back in high-school driver’s ed. After adjusting everything using the touchscreen, I pulled the stalk on the steering column down into D and off we went. The Tesla will slow down and stop when you take your foot off the accelerator. You don't need to press the brake. But I did anyway. At least the first couple of times this happened. I soon got used to it however. Overall, acceleration and handling were great compared to other mid-size cars I’ve driven. The “performance” version of the Model 3 is supposed to do 0-60 in under 4 seconds. Faster than many sports cars. 


Of course the Model S “Plaid” would beat a ZR1 in a drag race. And just about every other car on the road. Its electric motors deliver 1020 horsepower and 1050 pound feet of torque. That is real power. Trains have used electric traction motors for years. I'm surprised no one ever mentions that.

If you, like me, have never driven an EV before, the biggest thing missing from the experience it seemed was the audible “feedback” from a high revving engine and “downshift” right before the car takes off when you are passing someone on the highway. This car just goes… and goes. No matter what speed you are at. It just goes. But the feeling of control was there. The showroom Model 3 was also the first Tesla I’d ever seen up close or sat in. Unfortunately I have heard a fair amount of complaining on social media about the lack of quality and poor fit. From my perspective the car looked great! Everything appeared to be well made and “tight” And the seats were sustainable “vegan” leather. Nice car.

One thing I couldn’t get used to however was the lack of any speedometer, gauges, range, or driver information on my side. The “S” and “X” models both have a driver display. The “3” and “Y” do not. Instead, there was a beautiful woodgrain panel where the speedometer should have been. Weird. At least to me. A “dealbreaker”? Probably. True, everything is accessible through the large center screen, but I found myself distracted too often. I do like the screen as a “control center” however. Very easy to use. I think most drivers would have no problem with it. I read somewhere that over 70% of Tesla owners are 34 or younger and 33% have a Master's degree or Ph.D. Technology is not an issue here. But I was wondering what happens when it goes dark or hangs up? Do you have to “reboot” the car? This is not unique to Tesla. It’s apparent that all vehicles, gas or electric, are heading in this direction with driver information displays so every manufacturer will have similar issues. 

Of course once I got home I visited Tesla’s website and configured a black Model S “Plaid” with a black carbon fiber interior and 21” rims. The Plaid comes with a “yoke” steering wheel which I did not get to try out but have seen them on YouTube. I think I’d be fine with it. Just one click away and my new ride would be on its way to my dealer in Indy. For just $250 right now!

In reality, it will probably be at least a couple of years before I decide to go “all in” on EV’s. If you are thinking about getting an EV of any kind I hope you will take your time and research what’s out there. Drive one. Learn about charging and battery life. Compare models. Many of the reasons against going electric that you see on the Internet are based on outdated battery technology and older vehicles. Over the next few years all the major car makers will be offering electric vehicles so there will be a lot to choose from.



Popular posts from this blog

EOQ Calculations in Excel

Reliability Calculations in Excel

“How Are We Doing?” Efficiency, Utilization, and Productivity